Sunday, July 10, 2011

Howard's End

This book is as good as ever as I reread for the fourth (or is it fifth?) time. I can hardly say, though, that I am rereading it, as most of it--save the general plot structure--seems utterly new to me. I have only the glimmer of recognition here or there. "Only connect..." Forster admonishes us and so he does, as an example. I had forgotten, or had never known, quite how bluntly he does so.
"Connect," has multiple meanings, of course. The connection between what one says and does in the world and the ethical sensibilities that inform those actions is central here. But Forster also wants us to connect with others through and despite those actions. This is difficult, as the very nature of being human is difficult.
I found myself quite moved during Margaret's showdown with Henry in Chapter 38, when he wishes to expell her sister, who has committed adultery, from their home:

"You shall see the connection if it kills you, Henry!...only say to yourself: 'What Helen has done, I've done.'"

The shocking bluntness of this exhange is beautiful. Margaret is, in Forster's words, "transfigured."

The novel is complex on many levels and the writing transcendent in places. I won't say another word in fear of spoiling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment