Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Winter's Bone

Winter's Bone is one of the best films I've seen recently. The beauty of the cinematography, even while filming ugly scenes, is extraordinary, as we are given a glimpse of a hidden America that lies smack in the heartland. The story of a teenage girl who searches for her drug-cooking father, who has put their house up as bail bond, takes us in to the so-called "meth belt" in the Ozarks. This teenager, Ree Dolly, cares for two younger siblings and a mentally ill mother, while keeping danger--mostly from her own relations--at bay. The constriction of that place, with its poverty, its deprivation and its danger works on the viewer to convey a sense of dread and despair. Single moments create tremendous impact: in one scene, Ree visits the high school she seems to rarely, if ever attend. We see, briefly, two classes in session: one in child rearing, and the other, a junior ROTC class, with teenagers marching in formation in a run-down gym. Ree looks longingly into that gym, but hunches her shoulders and moves on.
One of the strengths of the film is the veracity of the acting, which at no point seems to be acting; the players meld into the surroundings effortlessly. This is no doubt credit to the script, which seems at times as composed of a kind of rough poetry, speech rendered simultaneously metaphoric and concrete.


I contrast this to another film getting Oscar buzz, the terrible The Kids are All Right which is painfully predictable at times and seems to be getting rewarded for showing lesbians as regular married folk. Gosh, lesbians are just like other people! Who knew! What might have been interesting was the "relationship" with the sperm donor of the couple's children. This character, played by Mark Ruffalo, is changed by knowing his children, but the evolution just sort of happens. Unexplored too, are the complex tensions and feelings that might arise from such a situation. Instead, the focus is back on the married couple, (dykes have problems, too!!) with a large lens on the terrible Annette Benning, who as Nic, a type A obstetrician, chews the scenery much as she did in American Beauty (the only weak spot in that film). It doesn't work here. Julianne Moore is good as always, as is everyone else but Benning, but so much centers around Benning's character and the contrived interplay between each actor that the film never really comes together. I won't be a spoiler and tell you what conflict is created from this mess, as it is too ridiculous and too glaringly, um, predicable, as is the set up for the ending scene. Predictable. I cannot figure out what everyone is so excited about. Not the writing, not the acting, nada!

Moving on to Black Swan, another award favorite. Natalie Portman does a good job as Nina, a tortured ballerina, and Mila Kunis as her rival is fun to watch. While the film was entertaining, I agree with David Denby (in The New Yorker) that the movie "turns the uncanny into shtick" and lacks control. Much of it is so over the top that my companions and I found ourselves laughing out loud. Part of the problem is that it doesn't know quite which way to go. Is the rival ballerina after Nina? Could be a suspense thriller. Is Nina's mom a whack job, out to keep her little girl under her thumb by messing with her head? Could be a complex psychological drama. Is, in fact, Nina just losing her mind? Yes, guess so. But even that could be mined for more interest and subtlety that we get here. Fans of director Aronofsky will probably enjoy the spectacular and fantastic aspects of this, and not care about the obviousness or incoherence. It was a hoot, though. Danke schon!

I'm giving Tangled a big thumbs up. All the best of Disney--good story, good music, a ton of fun. We had a three generation outing for this one, and everyone enjoyed it.

I'm looking to see as many films as I can in the coming weeks just so I can have arguments with my friends about how bad most are...fun! What should I see next?

4 comments:

  1. Ooh...I just read this for the 1st time, and I concur, except for the the J. Moore thing. I just don't like her, so it's hard for me to be objective. This movie had so much potential. Such a letdown. I actually watched this movie twice, not because I thought it was any good, but so I could revisit the restaurant the M. Ruffalo character owns, and for M. Ruffalo himself. For me, it was all about eye candy. I was seduced by the organic food growing, exotic girl scamming, harley riding, lesbian flipping restauranteur just as much as the the validation seekeing lesbian was. I really wanted to like it as a movie w/ substance, but I only liked it like I would a feel-good Jennifer Aniston movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obviously referring to The Kids Are All Right, not Winter's Bone, in my previous comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read this blog last month, I only read the section on The Kids Are All Right because that was the only movie I had seen at the time. I'm that person who cups her ears when someone says, "I love such and such movie," as I find that many "good" movies don't live up to the hype and that "bad" movies are sometimes not as horrible as people say. I love having no expectations and, further, not even knowing the basic plot. Nothing beats a pure, organic viewing of a movie.

    Having said that, I'm glad I waited to read your review, as I respect your opinions and would have been influenced by your take on these movies. Well, this week I watched Winter's Bone, 127 Hours (only because I adore James Franco - it must be the name), Black Swan, Tangled, and The Fighter, not knowing you had written about 3 of the 5. (Except Winter's Bone, of course).

    Your review of Winter's Bone was succintly spot-on w/ respect to the content and theme, but I couldn't agree more vehementely about the acting. The film was almost documentary-like in that at no point did I feel anyone was acting, they were just "being." Unfortunately, the irony of being a "great actor" is that you know that they are actors, and as viewers we can't help but think, "Wow, Rachel Adams must be stoked to have a make-out scene with Mark Wahlberg" (not that I would put her in the "great actor" category.)

    As far as Black Swan is concerned, I thought it was a fine movie, but I didn't like it. The acting was fine, but as much as I love Natalie Portman (and I adore her), I don't know how she could beat out Jennifer Lawrence (sp?). More on this later. I have to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. I just read my post and I need to edit. 3rd paragraph, last sentence should read "Not that I would be "them" in the "great actor" category.

    ReplyDelete